“Music is the highest artistic ideal, a reflection of Cosmic Harmony. It confronts man directly with the deepest Mysteries of life.”
SPIRITUAL CHARTER OF HUMANITY (1946)
The 4th Competition will be organized jointly by the “Evgeny Svetlanov International Conducting Competition” Association and Radio France.
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
1) Organizational Structure
2) Conditions of Admission
4) Awards Ceremony
6) Communication and Publicity
7) Recording and Broadcast
10) Rules’ Amendments
12) Rules’ Official Language
1) ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
The association, called the “Evgeny Svetlanov International Conducting Competition», a non-profit making organization (hereinafter the “Competition”), is comprised of a Board of Directors, an Executive Committee, an Honorary Members’ Committee, a Jury and a Secretariat.
The head office is at 47, boulevard de Courcelles 75008 Paris.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Mrs Nina Svetlanova
Mr. Lionel Colombel
Mrs. Alexandra Bower
Board of Directors
|Mr. Jean-Pierre Anfroy||Doctor|
|Mrs Alexandra Bower||Doctor|
|Mrs Marina Bower||Impresario|
|Mr. Jean-Yves Clément||Writer, Publisher, Festival Organizer|
|Mr. Lionel Colombel||Financial Manager|
|Mrs Marlène Durand-Viel||Property Management Advisor|
|Mrs Nina Svetlanova||Journalist|
Mrs Nina Svetlanova
|Mrs Marina Bower||Managing Director|
|Mr. René Koering||Artistic Director|
|Mrs Olga Aleksandrova||Coordinator|
|Mrs Elena Khabi||Public Relations Manager|
HONORARY MEMBERS’ COMMITTEE
Mr. Myung-Whun CHUNG
Mr. Valery GERGIEV
Mr. Riccardo MUTI
Mr. Zubin MEHTA
Mr. Evgeny KISSIN
Mr. Alexander VEDERNIKOV
Chief Conductor of the Odense Symphony Orchestra (Denmark), Chief Conductor of the Royal Danish Opera, former Music Director and Chief Conductor of the Bolshoi Theatre (Russia)
Mr. Andrey BOREYKO
Music Director of the Naples Philahrmonic (USA)
Mr. Mauro BUCARELLI
Artistic Director of the National Academy of Santa Cecilia Orchestra (Italy)
Mr. Gidon KREMER
Violinist, Founder of the Kremerata Baltica Orchestra (Latvia)
Mr. Jorma PANULA
Conductor, Professor and Founder of the Panula-Academy Conducting Workshops (Finland), Composer
Mrs Cristina ROCCA
Vice-President for Artistic Planning of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (USA)
Mrs Nathalie STUTZMANN
Chief Conductor of the Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra (Norway), Principal Guest Conductor of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra (Ireland), Associated Artist of the São Paulo State Symphony Orchestra, Singer
2) CONDITIONS OF ADMISSION
1. The Competition is open to musicians of all nationalities who have completed their training. Applications will be considered regardless of candidates’ political persuasion, ethnic origin, faith, gender, marital status or disability unrelated to the profession.
2. Candidates should be born between 1978 and 1998 included.
The complete application form (including the video recordings) must be sent to the Competition between 15th January 2018 and 30th March 2018 at the latest (date of postmark).
HOW TO APPLY
1. Candidates should send the completed official application form by post to the Competition Office at Radio France enclosing other documents and required material (mentioned below) to the following address:
Mrs Sandrine Dursus
Maison de Radio France
Direction de la musique et de la création culturelle
116 avenue du Président Kennedy, 75220 Paris cedex 16
a) The official application form
Download the application form.
The candidate should choose:
– one work from the list of works for the qualifying rounds of the Competition;
– three works from the list of works for the Final Round of the Competition.
The lists of musical works are presented in section 3 “Rounds”.
b) A photo taken within the last 6 months. The photo should be affixed to the application form.
c) Curriculum vitae
The CV should specify candidate’s previous experience and career as a musician: studies, names of professors, highlights of musical activities, competitions in which he/she has participated, prizes won, etc.
d) Video recordings: DVD recordings
Download the “Video Recordings” form to fill.
Only recordings subsequent to the 1st January 2015 will be accepted.
Please, send us at least one DVD recording of 30 min. of music with one or two works and no more then 2 DVD recordings of of 2 hours of music in total with 3-4 works.
– The candidate should clearly indicate titles of recorded works, their date and length in the “Video recordings” form.
– The recording must show a footage of the candidate while conducting, as well as members of the orchestra. The footage of the candidate should be preferably shown full face (i.e. as seen by orchestra)
– The recording should be made with one of the following ensembles chosen by the candidate: symphony orchestra, chamber orchestra, instrumental ensemble with a minimum of 15 musicians.
The Competition guarantee that the video recording submitted by the candidate will be used for selection purposes only and will not be used for any other purpose.
The candidate should obtain prior authorizations where necessary regarding copyright for the use of the submitted video recordings.
e) A Photocopy of the candidate’s passport
2. The candidate must also send the application form and the same video recordings via ”We Transfer” or an Internet link (”Youtube” or other) to the following e-mail addresses:
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Candidates who submit false information or material will be disqualified.
4. Candidates’ documents, video recordings and other submitted material will not be returned.
SELECTION OF THE CANDIDATES
1.The Artistic Director will either accept or reject candidates for the First Qualifying Round after reviewing applications and video recordings.
2. The Artistic Director will select 18 candidates for the First Qualifying Round.
3. Results of the selection process will be sent to candidates by e-mail before 5th June 2018.
4. No reason for accepting or rejecting applications will be given.
1. Candidates admitted to First Qualifying Round after selection based on application forms and video recordings must pay an application fee in order to confirm their participation in the Competition.
2. The application fee is 400 €.
This fee is strictly non–refundable.
Fee payment should be made by transfer to the Competition’s bank account.
International bank account details:
BIC code: CCOPFRPPXXX
Account IBAN: FR76 4255 9000 3441 0200 1350 429
To: Concours International de Chefs d’orchestre Evgeny Svetlanov
3. The application fee must be paid before 30th June 2018 to confirm participation in the Competition.
First Qualifying Round: Tuesday 4th and Wednesday 5th September, 2018
Second Qualifying Round: Friday 7th September, 2018
Final Round: Saturday 8th September, 2018
The rounds of the competition will be held at the Auditorium de Radio France (116, avenue du Président Kennedy, 75016 Paris, France).
The First and Second Rounds will be held in closed session, the Final Round will be open to the audience.
ACCOMODATION AND MEALS
Accommodation for all selected candidates will be provided at the organizers’ expense for the period of the Competition.
Lunch for all selected candidates will be provided for the period of the Competition.
The Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France (Mikko Franck – Music Director, Jean-Marc Bador – General Delegate Director) will be the Competition’s official orchestra.
MUSICAL WORKS OF THE ROUNDS
Each candidate must specify on the application form musical works he wishes to conduct for each round.
1. First Qualifying Round: 20 minutes per candidate
Set of works (select one work from the list below):
BEETHOVEN: Leonore n°3, overture opus 72a
BEETHOVEN: Coriolan, overture opus 62
BEETHOVEN: Egmont, overture opus 84
2. Second Qualifying Round: 30 minutes per candidate
Set of works (select one work in each section below):
SIBELIUS: Violin Concerto in D-minor opus 47 (1st movement)
BARTOK: Violin Concerto n°1 Sz. 36 (1st movement)
Soloist – Marc Bouchkov
SCHUMANN: Symphony n°2 in C-Major opus 61 (2nd movement)
TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony n°6 in B-Minor opus 74 “Pathetique” (1st movement)
3. Final Round : 1 hour 20 minutes per candidate
The candidate must present a programme consisting of:
1.Two compulsory works:
a. EVGENY SVETLANOV: Daugava, symphonic poem
NB: The score will be sent by e-mail to selected candidates.
b. 6 minutes of CONTEMPORARY MUSIC (commissioned by the Competition and Radio France) to be prepared in 15 minutes.
NB: The score will be provided to the candidates after the Second Qualifying Round.
2. One of the three works selected by the candidate for the Final round in the application form. This work will be indicated to the candidate after the Second qualifying round.
The list of works proposed for the Final round:
1. BALAKIREV: Symphony n°2 in D-Minor
2. BARTOK: Concerto for orchestra Sz. 116
3. CHAUSSON : Symphony in B-flat Major opus 20
4. D’INDY: Jour d’été à la montagne, symphonic poem opus 61
5. DVORAK: Symphony n°7 in D-Minor opus 70
6. DVORAK: Symphony n°8 in G-Major opus 88
7. DUKAS: Symphony in C-Major
8. FRANCK: Symphony in D-Minor
9. MENDELSSOHN: Symphony n°3 in A-Minor opus 56 “Scottish”
10. MOZART: Symphony n° 41 in A-Major K. 551 “Jupiter”
11. REGER: Variations and fugue on a Theme by Mozart opus 132
12. RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Symphony n°2 opus 9 “Antar”
13. ROUSSEL: Symphony n°1 in D-Minor opus 7 “Le Poème de la forêt”
14. SCHUBERT: Symphony n°7 in E-Major D. 729
15. SCHUBERT: Symphony n°8 in B-Minor D. 759 “Unfinished”
16. SCHUMANN: Symphony n°3 in E-flat Major opus 97 “Rhenish”
17. SIBELIUS: Symphony n°2 in D-Major opus 43
18. SIBELIUS: Pelléas et Mélisande opus 46
19. STRAUSS: Aus Italien, symphonic poem in G-Major opus 16
20. TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony n°2 in A-Minor opus 17 “Little Russia”
ORDER OF PERFORMANCE
The order of performance for each round will be determined by drawing lots.
FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND
1.The order of performance for the First Qualifying Round will be sent by e-mail before 15th July 2018.
2. First Qualifying Round Schedule:
Tuesday 4th of September 2018: 10:00-12:30 a.m. and 2:00-4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 5th of September 2018: 10:00-12:30 a.m.
SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND
1. The order of performance for the Second Qualifying Round will be announced after the announcement of the First Round results.
2. Second Qualifying Round Schedule:
Friday 7th of September 2018: 10:00-12:30 a.m. and 2:00-4:30 p.m.
1. The order of performance for the Final Round will be announced after the announcement of the Second Round results.
2. Final Round Schedule:
Saturday 8th September 2018: 2:00-5:00 p.m. and 6:00-9:00 p.m.
ANNOUNCEMENTS OF RESULTS
1. The results of the First Qualifying Round will be announced at the Auditorium de Radio France following the Jury’s deliberation on Wednesday 5th September 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
2. The results of the Second Qualifying Round will be announced at the Auditorium de Radio France following the Jury’s deliberation on Friday 7th September 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
3. The results of the Final Round will be announced at the Auditorium de Radio France following the Jury’s deliberation on Saturday 8th September 2018 in the presence of the audience.
The audience will also award the Audience Prize.
4) AWARDS CEREMONY
The awards ceremony will be held at the Auditorium de Radio France after the announcement of the results of the Final Round of the Competition.
1. Winners will be awarded First, Second and Third Prizes and Honourable Mention will be awarded to the fourth finalist.
2. In case of a tie, the prize and cash award will be shared.
3. The Jury is not required to award all prizes.
First Prize : € 20,000 with diploma
Second Prize : € 10,000 with diploma
Third Prize : € 5,000 with diploma
SPECIAL PRIZE FROM THE ORCHESTRA
The Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France will invite the prizewinner/s of the 2018 4th Evgeny Svetlanov International Conducting Competition to conduct a performance in the 2020-2021 season.
The audience will vote for the Audience Prize. The result will be announced at the Auditorium de Radio France after the counting of votes.
The music partners will offer future engagements to one or more prizewinners of their choice. Please visit “Our partners” page on the Competition website.
6) COMMUNICATION AND PUBLICITY
1. During the Competition, the Executive Committee will claim all rights for the communication material indicated below. Candidates may neither object nor claim any remuneration (this clause includes the press conference).
a. Sound and/or video recording, film shots and photos.
b. Radio, TV and Internet broadcast of the above items.
c. Copy and/or sale of above items.
The candidates will be required to cooperate in all film, photo sessions and/or interviews planned by the Competition.
2. Candidates will have to obtain prior authorisation from the Competition before the beginning of the First Qualifying Round for film and photo shots, or any interviews other than those planned by the Competition.
7) recording and broadcast
2. All the rounds of the Competition will be broadcast live on Radio France, medici.tv and the Competition’s website svetlanov-evgeny.com.
They will also be recorded for re-broadcasting purposes or for other audio-visual commercial or non commercial use.
3. It is expected that a CD recording of selected Competition performances or a documentary of the Competition may be commercially produced for television and DVD, and that parts or all of the Competition will be made available on the Internet.
4. Camera crews may videotape and/or photograph all Competition events.
1. The Board of Directors and the Executive Committee will not be liable for accidents indicated below occurring during the Competition:
a. Damage to or loss of candidates’ belongings.
b. Physical, material or moral injury caused or sustained by candidates.
2. All candidates are therefore advised to make their own appropriate insurance arrangements.
1. Decisions made by the Executive Committee regarding the administration of the Competition selection based on the application and video recordings and the Jury’s decision on evaluation are final and irrevocable.
2. Candidates may not appeal against the above decisions.
10) RULES’ AMENDMENTS
1. In order to ensure the smooth running of the competition, the Executive Committee may add, remove and/or change the Competition’s rules even after they have been published.
2. If problems arise regarding points not covered by the rules, the competitors will be required to follow the decisions and rulings made by the Executive Committee.
If an amicable solution cannot be found in the event of a dispute, the matter will come under the jurisdiction of the Paris courts.
12) rules’ official language
1. The above rules are provided in French, English and Russian.
2. The French text is the only officially accepted version.
Secretariat of the Evgeny Svetlanov International Conducting Competition: email@example.com